Bringing Your Four-Legged Friends
Marine Atlantic is happy to provide a safe travel experience for all passengers, including those with fur and four legs. If you are travelling with a pet other than a cat or dog that needs special accommodation, please contact Customer Relations.
To ensure a safe and comfortable crossing for you pet, please review the guidelines below before leaving home. These policies do not apply to certified service animals (with appropriate documentation).
- Pets are permitted inside terminal buildings as long as they remain in a pet travel carrier at all times. Pets that are only passing through the terminal building, and not staying inside, may do so on a leash or in a pet travel carrier.
- When outside your vehicle and on our vessels, your pet must be on-leash or in a pet travel carrier.
- You are required to clean up after your pet.
- Pets are not permitted in passenger cabins.
Pet Travel Options
We offer two options for pets to travel on board our vessels. Foot passengers travelling with pets must reserve kennel space on board the vessel (Option Two) and are required to provide their own pet carrier.
Option One: In Vehicle
- You may leave your pet in your vehicle for the duration of the crossing. Many pet owners choose this option as dogs and cats tend to be more comfortable in a familiar environment. Of course, every pet is different and therefore we rely on the owner to choose the best option for their four legged companion.
- If you choose this option, we ask that you notify us upon check-in, and request a ‘Pet On Board’ card to display in your vehicle window. This card identifies that your vehicle contains a pet and assists us during the boarding process.
- Remember to leave vehicle windows partially open to maintain airflow for your pet(s).
- For the safety and security of passengers, no one is permitted on the vehicle deck during the crossing. Therefore, you will not be permitted to visit your pet until the vessel has arrived in port.
- Please note: The Port aux Basques - North Sydney crossing is approximately 7 hours and the Argentia - North Sydney crossing is approximately 16.5 hours. Due to the length of the Argentia - North Sydney crossing, pet owners are strongly urged to cross on the Port aux Basques - North Sydney route. However, should you decide to travel on the Argentia - North Sydney route, you must determine if this is the best option for your pet.
Option Two: Reserve Onboard Kennel Space
- You may reserve a space for your pet’s travel carrier, which must be constructed of hard plastic (collapsible wire and soft-sided carriers are prohibited). You are responsible to bring your own lock for your pet travel carrier.
- The price for reserving a space is $16.75 + HST for all routes.
- The sizes and configuration of kennel storage space varies by vessel. In the event of a vessel switch, your space may not be guaranteed. If a vessel switch occurs and we are unable to provide kennel space, you will have the option to select an alternate sailing, or leave your pet in your vehicle.
- Space is limited and must be booked online in advance or through our Reservations Office at 1-800-341-7981.
Kennel Storage Details
For the safety of our passengers and crew, all pets must be transported from their vehicle to the kennel area inside a pet travel carrier. Walked or carried dogs must be leashed.
Each kennel area includes a relief centre for pets with water, a scoop tool, disposable plastic bags and a garbage receptacle. Pet owners are responsible for cleaning up after their pet.
Pet Travel Carrier Sizes
Pet travel carriers must fit within the dimensions outlined below. Please select the space that best accommodates your pet travel carrier, and ensure you bring a lock. If your pet travel carrier does not fit these requirements, your pet must remain in your vehicle. You will not have access to your vehicle during the crossing.
- Available only on MV Atlantic Vision
- Measures NO GREATER THAN 40” deep x 27” wide x 30” high
- Usually suitable for Afghan Hounds, Dobermans, large Labradors, Pointers, and German Shepherds
- Measures NO GREATER THAN 35.5” deep x 25” wide x 27” high
- Usually suitable for small to medium Labradors, Australian Shepherds, Border Collies, Boxers, Dalmatians, and Airedale Terriers
- Measures NO GREATER THAN 31.5” deep x 22” wide x 25” high
- Usually suitable for Beagles, larger Shetland Sheepdogs, small Border Collies, English Bulldogs, and Springer Spaniels
- Measures NO GREATER THAN 27.5” deep x 21.5” wide x 21” tall
- Usually suitable for medium to small Shetland Sheepdogs, Miniature Poodles, Shi-Tzu, and Lhasa Apso
Marine Atlantic Dog Park at Port aux Basques Terminal
We love our four-legged passengers and know a journey isn’t complete without our furry friends. That’s why we’re happy to announce our brand-new off-leash dog park. Let your dog enjoy the great outdoors, burn off excess energy and visit the park fire hydrant before boarding our vessels for the next leg of your adventure — remember, a tired dog is a good dog. And who knows, your dog might even make a new friend or two.
Rules and Regulations
To our dog friends, there are a few rules we ask that you follow for your safety and those around you at our dog-only park. If you decide to run, jump and fetch, please be mindful of small children and others nearby.
Remind your owners or human companion that they:
- are responsible (the lawyers say “liable”) for what you do at all times
- have to pick up after you
- must put you back on a leash when you leave
- need to supervise your every whim, need and interaction with others
- must not forget to watch out for their kids when paying attention to you
- are not to leave you alone and unsupervised to make new acquaintances on your own
If these rules are followed, everyone should have fun and stay safe with no need to growl about Marine Atlantic having to state that users of the dog park do so at their own risk, and that Marine Atlantic assumes no liability for any injuries, loss of or damage to property arising from the use of this park.