CAB Ticketing Classification to be Eliminated

Effective September 1, 2022

Effective September 1, 2022, the CAB (Commercial Other PRV) will be eliminated. Customers who previously travelled under this travel classification will either reserve a crossing as a passenger-related unit or travel on a first come first serve as a commercial-related unit. The classification for travel will be determined based upon the type of vehicle.

This change is being made to improve the clarity during ticketing by identifying a customer as travelling with either passenger or commercial unit. This means, effective September 1, 2022, whether the unit displays signage, is carrying tools, and/or the reason for travel will no longer be a consideration for ticket classification.

To be considered a passenger-related unit

Former CAB units 30’ and under in length will travel as passenger-related units, regardless of vehicle type, signage, registration, or purpose of travel.

Former CAB units over 30’ in length will travel as a passenger-related unit if they are designed for private recreation (travel trailers, boats, personal watercraft, ATVs, snowmobiles, etc.).

What does this change mean?
Customers with vehicles that are now designated as passenger-related units will follow standard passenger-related procedures. This includes the ability to book in advance and avail of accommodations based on availability. The price of the vehicle ticket will remain the same, however, drivers/passengers will not be eligible to avail of commercial berths.

To be considered a commercial-related unit

All other units over 30’ will travel as a commercial customer.

What does this change mean?
Customers with vehicles that are now designated as commercial related will pay the commercial price for their vehicle ticket. They will follow standard commercial-related procedures. There are no changes for any other commercial units, including those currently ticketed as CTR (Commercial Tractor Only) or CST (Commercial Straight Truck).


Frequently Asked Questions

Can I choose my travel classification, either passenger or commercial?

No, units are designated as either passenger or commercial based on the unit type.

What do I do if my unit is carrying dangerous goods?

Any unit transporting dangerous goods, in an amount that must be declared and paperwork provided, must travel as commercial.

Will this change reduce the total amount of commercial traffic on each sailing?

No, there is space allocated for commercial use on each sailing and units designated as passenger do not utilize this space.

Does it matter if the unit has commercial license plates?

No, these are Marine Atlantic designations for the purposes of ferry travel only and do not follow criteria used for other purposes including provincial vehicle licensing.

Can I use my company’s commercial invoice account for payment even though my unit is designated as a passenger?

Yes. Customers may use their commercial invoice account for payment at both Reservations and at check in. You will need to provide your account number. The use of invoice accounts is not available for online bookings.

I’m a commercial driver travelling with a passenger vehicle, am I eligible to purchase a commercial berth?

No. Only drivers travelling with commercial vehicles under commercial tickets are eligible for a commercial berth.

Got specific questions about this change?
Please email your inquiry to: [email protected] or call 1-800-341-7981.