General Guidelines for SPILLAGE
- Think of safety first!
- Avoid any contact with dangerous substances. Do not walk through spilled liquids or dust (solids).
- Keep away from vapours or gases.
- Sound alarm.
- Keep the bridge and living quarters up wind if possible.
- Wear full protective clothing resistant to chemical attack and self-contained breathing apparatus.
- Locate stowage position of leaking cargo.
- Identify cargo.
- Obtain UN Numbers and the EmS SPILLAGE SCHEDULE of dangerous goods involved.
- Consider which measures of the EmS SPILLAGE SCHEDULE are applicable and should be followed.
- Be prepared to use the Medical First Aid Guide (MFAG).
- Contact the designated person of the company responsible for the operation of the ship to obtain expert advice on dangerous goods emergency response measures.
Precaution: Contamination of the skin with any dangerous goods should be removed and washed immediately.